[Elphel-support] Get video stream with Opencv

support-list support-list at support.elphel.com
Fri Mar 13 13:10:44 PDT 2015

Segio,

I do not have any personal experience with Open CV, but I know others were able to use it with Elphel camera. I'm not sure how grabbing video is made in Open CV but if it is possible, I would recommend to use dedicated image server (imgsrv) available on the camera_IP:8081 (it has a mini-help page if you open it in the browser), there will be no bandwidth penalty and it is easier (and more flexible) than using the video streamer. Camera has an internal 19MB buffer, so your application does not have to grab images at the constant rate - it may stop for up to a few seconds (depending on the image size/frame rate) and then catch up - imgsrv provides simple commands to wait for frames and navigate the buffer.

Other thing - in the camera parameter control is separate from the acquisition of images/video, it is done so to enable changing camera parameters (including image size) with minimal if any "broken" frames. There is some description of this in the http://archive.linuxgizmos.com/elphel-camera-under-the-hood-from-verilog-to-php/ . You may control the camera with the universal control interface ore use both POST and GET HTTP requests or use a custom PHP script to communicate with the host.