[Elphel-support] How to calibrate other cameras

support-list support-list at support.elphel.com
Wed Jan 23 11:59:44 PST 2013

Dear Amir Ahmad,

I'm very sorry for your loss, but I'm afraid our calibration can not help much, here is why:
1 - in the ideal circumstances we were able to improve linear resolution by a factor of 1.5 - 2.0. Yes, that doubled effective megapixels of the camera, but not much more.
2 - we use lenses with fixed focus and iris, the camera in your case may have some moveable mechanical components that were in unknown state during shooting. Or is it so basic that it has fixed focus/iris?
3 - we only developed software for lens aberration correction, motion blur is a different thing. In many cases it is easier to correct and there is some software to do that - I just do not have any experience with it.

Is it a single shot or video of the criminal? Is it posted somewhere on the Internet to look at it and see how bad is it? What was the distance? how big (in pixels) is the face?

Andrey

---- On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 13:47:07 -0800 Amir Ahmad Shishegar<shishegar.amir at gmail.com> wrote ----

Dear Sir/Madam,

First thanks for developing and maintaining the Elphel project.
As a brief description I am father of a boy who has killed by a murderer some months ago, police has found some video evidence of the murderer but the face of murderer is not focused and suffer from optical and motion blur.
 The camera who has captured the scene is some low quality Chinese camera who has not any brand.
I searched the internet and studied many articles on how to restore out-of-focus or motion blurred images with non-blind deconvolution or psf measurement but found your project more comprehensive and with practical tools.
 Now I am to use the tools you have developed for Eyesis post-processing to calibrate and psf measurement of camera who has captured the scene.
But I have not found any document on what are the differences is in workflow for using it for other camera instead of Eyesis.
 As this is the only way remained to find my child murderer, so I appreciate you very much if you help me how to use your post-processing tools to measure the psf of a scene which has occurred at a fixed distance of camera and then restore the images.

Regards,
Amir Ahmad Shishegar,
Dubai,UAE,
Tel: +1-414-2929074