[Elphel-support] LiveUSB kubuntu 10.04 -no ethernet driver, firmware upgrade problems

Oleg support-list at support.elphel.com
Tue Apr 16 13:55:23 PDT 2013

Hello,

1 . when I build the live USB using “unetbootin-window” tools.
> If I use ISO file “ kubuntu-elphel-3.iso” dowloaded from
> http://community.elphel.com/files/live-dvd/   it’s OK .
> But if I use ISO file “kubuntu-elphel-4.iso”  to create liveUSB, it will
> notify a message when booting “invalid or crashed kernel”.

Can I use kubuntu-elphel-3.iso to build software without any problems?
> If I want to use kubunto-elphel-4.iso to build liveUSB ,how to fix this
> problem.

Do not have Windows at hand to test unetbootin. But just tried creating a
live USB in kubuntu 11.10 with both: its built-in usb creator and
unetbootin - it works.

You could try another program or burn the ISO image on a DVD disk.

At the same time you should not have any troubles with building software in
kubuntu-elphel-3.iso.

2. in kubuntu-10.04 LTS environment built from kubuntu-elphel-3.iso
> I can’t upgrade firmware using “search elphel camera” and “net Flash”
> either.
>
> I noticed that is because the driver for on-board ethernet not installed
> (I can asccess internet on win7, the same PC, it prove that the hardware
> is OK)
> in terminal console, if I type “ifconfig” I can see only loopback
> interface, there was no eth0 interface. If I type lspci command I can see
> it can recognize the ethernet from “atheros” (it display atheros AR8151 on
> window)
> I dowloaded the driver for onboard called “AR81Family-linux-v1.0.1.14.tar”
> I did as follow:
> tar -xzvf AR81Family-Linux-v1.0.1.9.tar.gz
> cd scr
> sudo su
> make install
> modprobe atl1e
> exit
> but still canot install driver ,it say “there are no kernel source”
> I search google they said I need :
> sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
> sudo apt-get install build-essential
> then I type : sudo apt-get install build-essential , it said something
> like “already install” .
> but when I type : sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic ,
> it said something like “connecting to ubuntu server…”
> actually, I’m trying to install ethernet driver -> I could not access
> internet to get update.
>
> My question: could you show me how to install ethernet driver without
> connecting internet? If I can not install driver for onboard ethernet I can
> not upgrade firmware!

So, typing in terminal:

> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.15

should be reporting: "No such device"

I cannot help you with installing linux drivers on you PC because I can't
reproduce the problem. Could you try it on another PC.

Also, there's a way to update camera firmware from the camera, you will
need:
1. new firmware image
2. NFS (Network File System) server installed on PC

Then if you go http://<camera-ip> -> System Preferences -> Firmware - that
page checks if NFS is available, contains a valid image and does an update.
A folder name example for image files:

> /nfs/latest80/

Best regards,
Oleg Dzhimiev