[Elphel-support] LiveUSB kubuntu 10.04 -no ethernet driver, firmware upgrade problems

hoi quoc nguyen nguyen_quoc_ut_hoi at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 16 02:21:14 PDT 2013

Hello,

I’ve bought elphel 353 camera kit some months ago,Now, when I try to upgrade firmware I encountered some problems.

I have some question:

1 . when I build the live USB using “unetbootin-window” tools.
If I use ISO file “ kubuntu-elphel-3.iso” dowloaded from http://community.elphel.com/files/live-dvd/   it’s OK .

But if I use ISO file “kubuntu-elphel-4.iso”  to create liveUSB, it will notify a message when booting “invalid or crashed kernel”.

Can I use kubuntu-elphel-3.iso to build software without any problems?
If I want to use kubunto-elphel-4.iso to build liveUSB ,how to fix this problem.

2. in kubuntu-10.04 LTS environment built from kubuntu-elphel-3.iso
I can’t upgrade firmware using “search elphel camera” and “net Flash” either.

I noticed that is because the driver for on-board ethernet not installed
(I can asccess internet on win7, the same PC, it prove that the hardware is OK)
in terminal console, if I type “ifconfig” I can see only loopback interface, there was no eth0 interface. If I type lspci command I can see it can recognize the ethernet from “atheros” (it display atheros AR8151 on window)

I dowloaded the driver for onboard called “AR81Family-linux-v1.0.1.14.tar”
I did as follow:
tar -xzvf AR81Family-Linux-v1.0.1.9.tar.gz

cd scr

sudo su

make install

modprobe atl1e

exit
but still canot install driver ,it say “there are no kernel source”

I search google they said I need :
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
sudo apt-get install build-essential

then I type : sudo apt-get install build-essential , it said something like “already install” .

but when I type : sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic ,
it said something like “connecting to ubuntu server…”

actually, I’m trying to install ethernet driver -> I could not access internet to get update.

My question: could you show me how to install ethernet driver without connecting internet? If I can not install driver for onboard ethernet I can not upgrade firmware!