[Elphel-support] Noise in Photo Finish/Line Scan mode

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Wed Jan 18 17:37:32 PST 2012

Hello Linden,

Nice to hear you are making a progress with such systems. As you know we
did not use that mode much and there can be some unnoticed bugs in the code
(in stis case it is probably in the FPGA code). It seems to me that it is
related to the use of the neighbor pixels when doing the color conversion
(compressor has to look around and while compressing 16x16 macroblocks it
reads (from the video memory) overlapping 20x20 pixel blocks (actually
using just 18x18 ones), so in regular (not line-scan) mode camera reads
(w+4)x(h+4) frames from the sensor. The linescan mode is a special one and
I implemented some measures to get those missing pixels for the end of
frame, but obviously something is not working properly (I probably broke
the code at some point implementing other changes and did not re-test the
linescan mode) .

It may be not so easy to fix and I am not 100% sure that it is actually the
case,  but you may try a quick test (that can also be a fix). Try saving
images in JP4 (or JP46) format - we use it when we need higher quality
images as it bypasses (simple) color conversion (de-mosaic) in the camera
and saves raw Bayer pattern images. Here you can find some explanation -
http://community.elphel.com/jp4/jp4demo.php.

There are now multiple ways to process the JP4 images, I use plugin for
the  ImageJ:
http://elphel.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=elphel/ImageJ-Elphel;a=blob;f=JP46_Reader_camera.java

Plugin opens the images and you can save them as 32-bit TIFFs

As the JP4 images do not involve any color conversion in the camera, the
extra pixels are not needed. And de-mosaic processing should probably be
performed on the stitched image, otherwise there still can be some
discontinuity on the border.

Andrey