[Elphel-support] Noise in Photo Finish/Line Scan mode

Linden Mills-Connery lmillsc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 16:31:38 PST 2012

Hello Elphel community,

I have been using the NC353 very successfully as a photo finish camera for
a variety of sports and we have been having great success. At this point we
are working on refining the system and one of the issues that has been
niggling at us is the noise that get introduced at the bottom of a image
when in photo finish mode. A few numbers to make sure we are on the same
page:
-Currently Installed Firmware Version: Elphel (R) Model 353 Camera release
8.0.9.2
-Camera Serial Number: 00:0E:64:08:19:96
-FPGA Release Number: 3534025
-PF_HEIGHT=2

So what I mean by noise is best represented by the following two images.
The first is a full frame as recorded by the camera with VIRT_HEIGHT=256:
http://zone4.ca/download/rapidcam/PF_Noise_Full_Image.jpg
Looking at the bottom 16 pixels of the image, it is clear that something is
not right. The bottom 8 pixels are the worst but the next 8 above that are
a bit strange as well.
I have done a zoom in on the bottom 32 pixels of this image as well:
http://zone4.ca/download/rapidcam/PF_Noise_Zoom.png

So when we put to successive frames together, we get the line near the
middle left of this image:
http://zone4.ca/download/rapidcam/PF_Noise_Line.jpg
Note: this image has been rotated 90 degrees from what the camera
originally recorded and has had two frames stitched together.

I have tried various VIRT_HEIGHT values but had no success. Can you provide
more insight on this problem?

Thanks,

Linden