[Elphel-support] Question regarding NC353L-369-IMU-GPS

Lemay, Lee C CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 52340 lee.lemay at navy.mil
Tue Jan 3 14:32:06 PST 2012

Steve,

>> My question is would there be any issues with having the Ethernet cable
feed directly into computer board as long as power is somehow provided?

I know that there are ways to run the Elphel off of a 12v (or greater) rail,
such as a battery. These are detailed on the wiki:
http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Modifying_the_camera_for_12-36v_mobil
e_applications
In my estimation, it will be easier to use an Ethernet power inserter. There
are Ethernet power inserters that accept 12V inputs, so that they can be
used in mobile applications. I use the TP-DCDC1248. Although I have not used
it extensively, so far it works as advertised.
http://tyconpower.com/products/POE_Inserters.htm

>> Also to access the IMU and GPS data is there another connection needed or
is it accessible from the Ethernet cable? ... it appears that to access the
GPS from the RS-232 port I would need another connection from the 10369
board Ethernet jack.

The IMU and GPS data may be accessed over the Ethernet cable, using netcat.
The example provided on the Elphel blog show the imu/gps data being written
to a file as:
cat /dev/imu >log-file-path
The same can be accomplished using netcat, which will stream the same data
to a port. We have tested this. Check the documentation of netcat for
details.
As Andrey has expressed to me, the system was designed for logging and
post-processing, not for real time data processing, so there will be some
latency associated with this data.

>> I was looking into the Tobi-expansion board which has an 10/100baseT
Ethernet

I believe the Tobi will be fine. That is what we're using. :)

Cheers,
Lee

  _____