[Elphel-support] the problems from the hdd (in short)

Sebastian Pichelhofer sebastian.pichelhofer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 07:31:42 PST 2012

OK so do I understand this correctly that the new 4K block size of
newer harddisks is the problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_sector ?

Since the embedded linux in the 353 camera is already several years
old it could well be the case that it has problems with 4K sectors.

Carlos, one idea: Could you prepare the HDD and the partition tables
on a PC and then see if the camera can talk to it nicely.

I do think we should put a notice on the wiki about the 4K sector
problem once we have a full understanding, and probably recommend
customers to not use/or use with caution 4K HDDs for now.

Regards Sebastian