[Elphel-support] the problems from the hdd (in short)

Carlos Padial palidoestudio2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 07:44:44 PST 2012

> OK so do I understand this correctly that the new 4K block size of
> newer harddisks is the problem:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_sector ?

dont know, but this you say remember me something readed about this
digging in the list archive. But i dont fully understand if it was the
same case. it was about using ext3... and my disk was formated as
ext2... (i believe)

> Since the embedded linux in the 353 camera is already several years
> old it could well be the case that it has problems with 4K sectors.

> Carlos, one idea: Could you prepare the HDD and the partition tables
> on a PC and then see if the camera can talk to it nicely.
i am afraid i dont have this kind of conexion for this, i will look
for an adapter...
what kind of hardware i need for this?

> I do think we should put a notice on the wiki about the 4K sector
> problem once we have a full understanding, and probably recommend
> customers to not use/or use with caution 4K HDDs for now.

Yes, i think this shoud be done. But i have not full understanding of
the problem yet.

So there is no other way?

Thanks oleg and sebastian for your support.

--
Carlos Padial
surreal.asturnazari.es