[Elphel-support] change camera parameters through Telnet

support-list support-list at support.elphel.com
Thu Dec 13 14:38:20 PST 2012

> The user would be controlling his sets of controls and the camera would be following him, reacting to it's demands.
> With wget this is more difficult because the change isn't instantaneously, as it needs to download a file with changes in order to implement the changes in the camera.

Biel,

I'm confused.  There are two types of "communications":
1 - between your custom script running in the camera, and
2 - between the remote user and the script.

For 1 you may use "wget http://localhost..." if you want to perform some camera control from the shell script in the camera, if you are running PHP script in the camera - you do not need that, you can use elphel_*() functions directly
For 2: It is probably possible to use telnet to send remote automatic commands from your python program to the camera, but I doubt it is optimal - it is probably used to control the devices that have only telnet access - like my satellite dish on our RV. I believe more convenient would be to send normal HTTP GET or POST requests like your Gmail page communicates with the server(s)