[Elphel-support] change camera parameters through Telnet

support-list support-list at support.elphel.com
Thu Dec 13 11:41:30 PST 2012

Biel,

This is exactly why we implemented PHP - to make things easier to control. We used fastCGI mode to speed things up by making sure several instances of PHP are loaded to memory and waiting for a job (so "wget http://localhost/script.php" is much faster for the short scripts than "php script.php" - no wait for PHP itself to load and start).

For your custom application - you do not need to load anything over the network - your custom php script in the camera can do whatever changes it needs to do. So it is not your host application sending many small http requests to some standard camera API - it is your in-camera script doing whatever is needed and communicating with the host as needed. And it will be much faster than controlling camera over telnet.

And there is no similar functionality in shell scripts.

Andrey

---- On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:12:06 -0800 Biel Bestué de Luna<7318.tk at gmail.com> wrote ----

indeed, this is way too advanced for me. I don't understand a thing :)

The thing with wget, is that it forces you to download files when you just want to change a value in the camera, what would be cool would be to have a process to change the camera values without the need to download anything, I'm currently streaming with the camera, and I find odd to have to download files form the camera to change a value in it. and since I tried the pixel summing I've seen that that process is way more quickly than wget.