[Elphel-support] using elphel for the first time

Sebastian Pichelhofer sebastian.pichelhofer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 00:31:28 PDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 08:54, flavio soares <qazav3.0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, everyone,
>
> This is my first post on this list, so congratulations for all the
> achievements you've had so far with Elphel.
>
> Yesterday, the Elphel 353 I'll be using for the next months has arrived and
> I turned it on for the first time. I followed the Quick Start Guide and I
> wasn't able to find the camera's IP. I'm currently using Debian, the Stable
> version. (the same happens in Windows).
>
> I ran an ifconfig and my IP addresses were 192.168.1.103 and 192.168.1.105
> (one connection via ethernet and the other via wireless). I tried
> 192.168.1.9 or the default 192.168.0.9 but it couldn't reach the camera.
>
> I booted with the Kubuntu live USB and when I clicked on the icon to search
> for the cameras, it had no problem and found it just fine. Even though my
> IPs continued to be 192.168.1.xxxx, the camera was found on the default
> 192.168.0.9.
>
> I wonder, I am doing something wrong? Is there any software that must be
> installed in order to access the camera (I mean, apart from an internet
> browser)?
>
> I tried using nmap (in Debian) to search for the camera's IP, with no
> success.
>
> Also: at the Quick Start Guide, it says I should use a login as "root" and
> password "pass", this wasn't asked with the live USB. At first, I managed to
> see the live stream but then I believe the video stream disappeared as I
> messed about with the configuration (because it showed a very low, red fps
> of the streaming and I was trying to fix that).

I agree this part on the wiki page is a bit misleading.
I improved that section to note that the username/pw is only for
SSH/FTP access to the camera:
http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Elphel_353_series_quick_start_guide#SSH.2FFTP_connection

Feel free to add/improve anything on that page you find is not clear
yet, you are the perfect tester now as you are just starting with the
camera :)

Low FPS is most likely caused by high exposure time.
See http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Elphel_353_series_quick_start_guide#Camera_GUI.28camvc.29_Controls
exposure in ms is the slider you want to change, double click turns
off autoexposure

Regards Sebastian