[Elphel-support] using elphel for the first time

flavio soares qazav3.0 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 23:54:40 PDT 2012

Hello, everyone,

This is my first post on this list, so congratulations for all the
achievements you've had so far with Elphel.

Yesterday, the Elphel 353 I'll be using for the next months has arrived and
I turned it on for the first time. I followed the Quick Start
Guide<http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Elphel_353_series_quick_start_guide>and
I wasn't able to find the camera's IP. I'm currently using Debian, the
Stable version. (the same happens in Windows).

I ran an ifconfig and my IP addresses were 192.168.1.103 and 192.168.1.105
(one connection via ethernet and the other via wireless). I tried
192.168.1.9 or the default 192.168.0.9 but it couldn't reach the camera.

I booted with the Kubuntu live USB and when I clicked on the icon to search
for the cameras, it had no problem and found it just fine. Even though my
IPs continued to be 192.168.1.xxxx, the camera was found on the default
192.168.0.9.

I wonder, I am doing something wrong? Is there any software that must be
installed in order to access the camera (I mean, apart from an internet
browser)?

I tried using nmap (in Debian) to search for the camera's IP, with no
success.

Also: at the Quick Start Guide, it says I should use a login as "root" and
password "pass", this wasn't asked with the live USB. At first, I managed
to see the live stream but then I believe the video stream disappeared as I
messed about with the configuration (because it showed a very low, red fps
of the streaming and I was trying to fix that).

I appreciate if you can help me,

Best regards,

flavio