[Elphel-support] Question about Eyesis

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Tue May 24 14:58:09 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 5:36 AM, XLview <german at xlview.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We are developing a solution for street digitalization, We have build our
> own camera system based on reflex camera array. We are looking for a better
> solution since reflex cameras have a shot life and the setup is not easy at
> all.
>

> You can take a look at www.fotocalle.com
>

> We like you solution very much. We don’t have the money right now but we
> are looking for partners-customers to go on with this project.
>
> * *
>
> *We have 3 questions right now:*
>

> -Is it possible to make a 20-25fps video lowering the resolution? We are
> also looking forward to use it as a 360 video device.

No, it is not possible. We are trying to get the best resolution of the
camera, and so we can not compete with low-res video cameras that can be
made much cheaper. Additionally Eyesis camera uses multiplexing of the
channels (group of the 3 sensors acquires images simultaneously, but then
compresses and stores them sequentially, that simplifies the overall system
(Eyesis-4pi uses only 8 system boards and 8 SSD for 24 5MPix sensors)

> -We think that if we get an interested customer, may think that 3-4 months
> delivery (+adaptation to our system) is too long. Would it be possible to
> reduce the lead time?

Currently we only have this delivery time. These cameras are very
sophisticated as we are trying to push the performance limits, the new
models require a lot of R&D work, development of additional software. We are
currently in small batch production stage - 5 cameras at a time.

> -The example panoramas you have on your site are cropped on the bottom. Can
> you please send a couple of panoramas uncroped?

http://postprocess.elphel.com/ImageViewer/list.php - there are some images
with aberration correction applied. Different quality pairs (we were
improving both the raw image acquisition and the post-processing)

> -We had some trouble when car is not leveled. We have a usb compass/level.
> Is it possible to implement data during stitching process to have leveled
> panoramas?

We are working on the integration of the  high resolution IMU devices - this
recent blog post has some details:
http://blog.elphel.com/2011/05/imu-and-gps-integration-with-elphel-cameras .
Our goal is to combine the optical distortion correction that we are working
on with ERS distortion correction based on inertial data - that would give
us pixel-accurate stitching, suitable fro the 3-d reconstruction.

Andrey