[Elphel-support] The sensivities of the sensors in the near infrared range

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Tue May 24 14:32:43 PDT 2011

Petri,

It is very difficult to reduce sensitivity of a silicon sensor in near IR
range - this is why all color cameras have IR cutoff filters - the mosaic
color filters only cut some of the visible range, but all allow near IR to
go through. Such cutoff filters are used in many monochrome applications
where high resolution is more important than using all the light that
reaches the camera - requirement to cover wider spectral range makes it more
difficult for the lens to provide sharp focus.

Aptina MT9P001/031 imagers have good sensitivity for this size of the
sensors, and while we do not have the IR sensitivity numbers, these sensors
(like other silicon devices) have higher sensitivity in near IR than in
visible range. So are you sure that you do not have a filter - in the camera
or inside the lens? You may test if the camera is IR-sensitive using a TV
remote control - try it with the lens and with the lens removed (point
directly to the camera sensor with lights turned off).

Andrey