[Elphel-support] FPGA CCD Camera Video Compression to send Windows App using Altera Cyclone IV

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Sun May 8 19:06:10 PDT 2011

> QUESTIONS
> 1. What recommendations do people have for video compression. Keeping in my
> mind that I need this to consume as little of my time as possible (I know a
> shocker).

Adam,

I do not think I can give you any useful advice on this - I do not know
"easy" way that will not consume much of your time. And currently we do not
have any real video compression - Ogg Theora was implemented on the previous
camera (model 333) and was never ported to the current one. In 353 camera we
use just Motion JPEG (sequence of JPEG frames), either with standard JPEG or
the modified version - JP4, that is designed to compress raw Bayer pixels
without conversion to YCbCr 4:2:0

> 2. If I were to port Elphel's compression (with their express permission),
> what Xilinx to Altera problems am I likely to run into?

You do not need any type of the permission from us -all our code is released
under GNU GPLv3, but your derivative FPGA code has to be available under the
same license - you may find more on our wiki -
http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=FAQ

> 3. Is there more detailed documentation on the Elphel FPGA design? The
> current level I have been able to find is not very helpful with the level
> I'm getting down to.

What kind of the documentation are you looking for? I do not think there is
much of it - the code base is a work in a constant progress, there were some
published articles describing the code in general, the rest are just
comments in the code.

I looked on you block diagram - our code does not exactly fit there, the
sensor data goes to the memory (through the FPGA) before being (optionally)
color-converted and compressed.

Andrey