[Elphel-support] FPGA CCD Camera Video Compression to send Windows App using Altera Cyclone IV

Adam Gibson c3008353 at uon.edu.au
Mon May 9 01:54:06 PDT 2011

Hi Andrey,

I appreciate the reply.

I've found this article:

<http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Elphel-camera
-under-the-hood-from-Verilog-to-PHP/>
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Elphel-camera-
under-the-hood-from-Verilog-to-PHP/

1.       Is this article still accurate?

2.       Is your MJPEG encoder fully created in hardware? I'm sifting
through the Verilog files for 353 version 8.09 and I'm finding it difficult
to identify the compression parts and match to the block diagram.

3.       Is the compression code something I can dissect out? If so what
files exactly construct it? I've noticed some of the Verilog files are
labelled 333.

4.       What was the reason that your new models changed to MJPEG? These
still achieve 1280x1024 at 27fps with MJPEG?

Note regarding my system. The only things set is:

.         Its on Altera.

.         The camera gives Bayer pattern row by row. (ie. R-G rows and B-G
rows).

.         I've got a very basic Ethernet going, but it will need adjustments
depending on what data I get.

.         Everything else requires me to solve the video compression and
construct the hardware/software around it.

Again thank you for your help Andrey.

Adam Gibson