[Elphel-support] issues with OpenCV

jeff witz witzjean at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 02:24:23 PDT 2011

Hello Sebastian,

OpenCV hasn't good methods to handle rtp and http flux for now.
We already try all the backend and we finally succeed in getting picture in
compiling the gstreamer form scratch without ffmpeg support.
The problem is that the only way to deal with url, is the module uriscr,
which didn't allow any set-up. So once we get a picture it was with 3 sec.
of delay, which was unacceptable for our realtime purposes.

Furthermore, I see that the connection to the camera is quite long and it
can be a problem for our purpose. So we finally choose to convert the camera
stream to a virtual device using v4l2loopBack plugin. As we had some
stability issues with gstreamer, we decide to use the mencoder backend,
which is much more stable.
Depending of the kernel version One can have simultaneous access the virtual
device. So in order to be sure that we can treat the datas and save the
movies we have avticated the multicast option, then we can now work with
OpenCV, with the classical example given for a webcam.
The other issue we have to solve came from the fact that OpenCV hadn't been
designed for big picture at an high framerate. So we had to remove every
windows that come from OpenCV to use Qt which have better performances.
Finally we achieve our realtime process of picture at any framerate. We
succeed in the treatment of 700 FPS.
If you are interested in such methods, you can send me private mail and I
can guide you. But I don't give any help on the windows platform.
Everything work well with an ubuntu LTS, so there is no difficulties to use
it in this particular context.

Best regards

[>rtsp @ 0xbefd80]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
<http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Talk:OpenCV>
>Unfortunately it was not possible for us to rebuild the Windows version of
OpenCV with GStreamer instead of FFMPEG.

--
Jean-François WITZ