[Elphel-support] issues with OpenCV

Alexandre Poltorak alexandre at elphel.com
Wed Mar 16 02:42:50 PDT 2011

Jeff, Thanks a lot for your feedback !

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:24 AM, jeff witz <witzjean at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Sebastian,
>
> OpenCV hasn't good methods to handle rtp and http flux for now.
> We already try all the backend and we finally succeed in getting picture in
> compiling the gstreamer form scratch without ffmpeg support.
> The problem is that the only way to deal with url, is the module uriscr,
> which didn't allow any set-up. So once we get a picture it was with 3 sec.
> of delay, which was unacceptable for our realtime purposes.

Yes, uriscr have no parameters, try to auto-guess the pipeline to launch..
and is unreliable if used with OpenCV.

I had some e-mail exchange with Nils Hasler <hasler at mpi-inf.mpg.de> where he
wrote that at some point they was considering adding a constructor video
source that allows passing a string like this:

"rtspsrc location=rtsp://192.168.0.9:554 latency=100 ! rtpjpegdepay !
jpegdec ! OpenCVsink" or similar.

You may want to ask for this feature on the opencv-devel list.

Best regards,
Alexandre