[Elphel-support] Web based elphelVision, PHP thoughts, mods

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 20:58:28 PST 2011

On 1/27/2011 5:19 PM, Oleg K Dzhimiev wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> Thanks for your interest.
>
>     DSLR's are out of my range.....and while the Elphel components are
>     the same cost, looking at the layout I can purchase components a
>     over time and hack around with it to eventually achieve the camera
>     she desires.
>
> Are you looking for a 'mobile' camera to be able to walk around (in
> our case with a battery and a laptop =) )?

No laptop, but otherwise yes.  Someting along the lines of the
NC353L-369-HDD with a battery pack and an SSD SATA drive.  Initially
using the small 5Mpx sensor, but since we will build it ourselves, she
has the option to upgrade to a bigger sensor later.  :-)

Of course, an added benefit to the "build yourself" model is that she
can design her own case for it.  So using a service like
Ponoko[http://www.ponoko.com/] she can design the case and have it made
out of wood as opposed to plastic or metal to add to the cool factor[and
fit in with the hippy woodstock crowd...:-)]  As you can see from
products like
http://www.ponoko.com/make-your-own/toys/flying-car-6mm--5116 it is
possible to create very unique and distinctive 3-d designs just using
laser-cut wood.

I expect this to be a matter of stages, first as I mentioned is for me
to make an initial pass at getting a workable PHP programming model to
setup the controls she will need and test them out.....  from there it
will be move on to actually getting a board/sensor physically setup
locally and testing things out, while she reviews the spec sizes and
works out her camera case design, then finally build packaging and testing.

I figured as a first pass, I'd post to the list here to make sure that
there wasn't any big showstoppers or reasons not to do things the way I
want to do them.....  I'm also aware that one of the reasons for the
DSLR popularity is the viewfinder which lets the photographer actually
see what the lens is pointing at without adding digital translation...
but my wife doesn't particularly care about THAT.  Her main goal is fast
shutter time[as her primary subject matter is our children and a few
seconds delay between pushing the button and having the picture captured
is sufficient to turn the perfect picture into the perfect goof when
dealing with 3 and 5 year olds.]