[Elphel-support] Reflash a camera with pre-installed elphel software

Oleg support-list at support.elphel.com
Tue Aug 30 18:08:59 PDT 2011

Dear Jason,

Here are the current instructions for reflashing:

1. First check:

  1.1 There's an /nfs (absolute path) folder. Its structure is

> /nfs/images/
> /nfs/latest80/ - a link that points to /nfs/images/<software_version>/

  1.2 Locate where the CVS project is checked out, should be -
/home/elphel/Elphel_projects/elphel353-<software_version>/elphel353/

note: the instructions for reflashing can also be found in README.flash.

  1.3 Find out the PC interface name the camera connected to. (type
"ifconfig in a terminal window"): the result should be either "eth0" or
"eth1". Also remember the PC ip address.

  1.4 It's better to connect the camera directly to the PC. If between the
cam and the PC there's a router/switch - it is possible that the special
packets will be blocked. In that case the reflashing script will not run
further when the camera is set to the netboot mode (see 2.4).

2. Reflash:

  2.1 Open a terminal(konsole) window, go to the project directory, type:

cd /home/elphel/Elphel_projects/elphel353-<software_version>/elphel353/

 2.2 Get to super-user, type:

sudo su

 2.3 Then init a couple of environment variables, type:

. ./init_env

2.3 Launch reflashing :

./netboot -d eth1 -nfs 192.168.0.15:/nfs/latest80 -cmd update

192.168.0.15 - example PC ip-address
eth1 - PC's interface name to which the camera is connected to.

It should print:

> Using internal boot loader: INTERNAL_NW - Network boot (default).
> Using internal boot loader: INTERNAL2 - Level2 boot.
> Starting boot...

2.4 Disconnect/Connect the cable from/to the camera several times (3-5 times
with 1-2s intervals should work) - this will bring the camera to a netboot
mode - the 2 LEDs will start blinking fast. Meanwhile the flashing script
will run further and exit. Wait for 2-3 minutes till the camera reflashing
is done, then reboot the cam.

note: the network connection in the knetwork-manager should be marked as
"connect automatically". Otherwise the PC loses it's ip address on
disconnect. If it loses its ip - get to the netboot mode 1st, then restore
the PC address.

PS. We're going to have a more automated reflashing method within a week
probably when we release a new version of live usb.