[Elphel-support] initial issues with a new elphel camera

Ákos Maróy akos at maroy.hu
Sun Oct 31 05:58:43 PDT 2010

Stefan,

> Forget what it optically looks like. The reason I explicitly say that
> you should bend the motherboard is simple: this was a common issue.
> (Then something in the PCB assemble process was finished, to solve the
> contact issue).
>
> So basically:
> start on your pc: ping 192.168.0.9
> connect the network cable to the device
> hold the mainboard corners between your thumb and index finger, now
> slightly 'twist' the board. (either in one or the other direction). if
> you suddenly see it replying the reason is known.

I tried, and it seems I can't make it work :(

> The mysterious thing with this issue seems to be that when you do
> connect the daughterboard (having compoorts) usually it 'just works'.

I see.

> I have recently applied a quick fix (because i needed a working camera)
> by applying a tiny piece of wood to the right rear corner of the camera
> when it was inside the housing, so the board remains 'working' because
> of the pressure. Obviously the proper solution is to send it back and
> get a working one, the board then goes again into the PCB oven, and
> basically reflows the connections 'under' the Axis Etrax chip.

well, timing wise this is quite bad. I'm leaving for Singapore next
week, and I wanted to work with the camera there :(

I'll drop a line to elphel directly about this issue. then again,
they'll put me into their ticketing system, which doesn't send out
e-mails / send out e-mails that are discarded as spam :(

Akos