[Elphel-support] initial issues with a new elphel camera

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Sun Oct 31 05:26:33 PDT 2010

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010, Ã~Akos Maróy wrote:

> thanks for the tip. I disassembled the thing, and physically it all
> seems normal. now the lights are also blinking when I plug it in - but I
> can't ping the device via the default IP address of 192.168.0.9. my
> laptop's IP address settings seem to be OK:

Forget what it optically looks like. The reason I explicitly say that you
should bend the motherboard is simple: this was a common issue. (Then
something in the PCB assemble process was finished, to solve the contact
issue).

So basically:
start on your pc: ping 192.168.0.9
connect the network cable to the device
hold the mainboard corners between your thumb and index finger, now
slightly 'twist' the board. (either in one or the other direction). if you
suddenly see it replying the reason is known.

The mysterious thing with this issue seems to be that when you do connect
the daughterboard (having compoorts) usually it 'just works'.

I have recently applied a quick fix (because i needed a working camera) by
applying a tiny piece of wood to the right rear corner of the camera when
it was inside the housing, so the board remains 'working' because
of the pressure. Obviously the proper solution is to send it back and get
a working one, the board then goes again into the PCB oven, and basically
reflows the connections 'under' the Axis Etrax chip.

Stefan