[Elphel-support] Pushing stream out from camera.

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Wed Oct 27 08:36:49 PDT 2010

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, Rock wrote:

> Actually no, I want the camera to push the stream from itself to a remote
> server. This is to avoid many of the firewall problems with going the "other way".
> We want the camera to poll somewhere to get an IP and start an outbound stream
> to some collection server.

What I did was the following;

You maybe know you can do ssh -L or ssh -R to do port forwarding. In that
case you can forward the local port 8081 (where the image server is
located) to a different system.

I didn't test the following but you get an idea.

>From the camera:
ssh -R 8081:127.0.0.1:8081 yourserver

(this does give some major CPU overhead because of SSH, you might want to
change the cypher)

On your server you can access the image server then by
http://127.0.0.1:8081/mimg (motion)
http://127.0.0.1:8081/bimg (single frame)

Hope that can point you in the right direction :)

Stefan