[Elphel-support] development with menuconfig

rock rock at peppa.com
Mon Nov 29 13:51:12 PST 2010

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 04:19:34PM -0700, Andrey Filippov wrote:
>    On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Rock <[1]rock at peppa.com> wrote:
>
>      It looks like /usr/bin is also a RO partition (under /) so I won't be
>      able to just add it to the filesystem. The ony paritions under /usr/
>      that I see are RW are:
>
>      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Nov 12 01:14 html -> ../mnt/flash/html
>      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Nov 12 01:14 local -> ../mnt/flash/local
>
>      What happens if I try to remount / as RW and then copy over the files?
>
>    Phil, yes. you are right - r/w is under /usr/local. Which path is ro, and
>    which is r/w it was inherited from Axis software (originally the had
>    different file system (not jffs2) fro the ro. So I would just put files in
>    /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/sbin as we do. It is probably possible to
>    re-mount - I haven't tried that.

  FYI,

  I was able to successufully remout the root partition as RW, write to a file in
/root/(.profile) and then switchback to RO:

% mount -o rw,remount /dev/part/root /

% (write some files in /root for example)

% mount -o ro,remount /dev/part/root /

% reboot -f
 (ssh back into camera)....

% ls -l /root/.profile
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          105 Nov 29 13:59 .profile

 My guess is that the root filesystem is static between reboots and that is a
 good thing as it gives you more flexibility. It can allow incremental updates.

-Phil

--
 |  Philip Carinhas      || http://fortuitous.com   |