[Elphel-support] Global Shutter

Sebastian Pichelhofer sebastian.pichelhofer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 05:38:56 PST 2010

Current Elphel 353 camera only has the rolling shutter option, there
is Elphel 363 as well that uses a high resolution, large scale Kodak
CCD but these sensors are rather expensive (~3000$) and only deliver a
rather low framerate (3-5fps if I remember correctly). Also if I
remember correctly Elphel does not have them in stock and requires a
batch of at least 10 orders or so before it will start production...

Next generation Elphel 373 which will be released late next year (wild
guess) will feature a wider range of sensors.
Like Kodak CCDs in 2/3", 1" and 4/3" optical designs.

Funding development of a new Sensor Front End now would be an
interesting option, the PCB hosting the sensor is a rather small and
not too dense board (http://www3.elphel.com/wiki/10338) but I guess it
depends very much on the new type of sensor how complex the new one
will be. And remember that a new sensor frontend will require some
software changes as well but since everything is open and available it
is very well possible.
Maybe Andrey can help estimate cost of such a project.

Regards Sebastian