[Elphel-support] FPGA board

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Mon Dec 13 08:21:50 PST 2010

Hello Shawyoo,

When deciding between Xilinx and Altera, because while  both of them offered
non-free (but free for download) development tools, Xilinx  had software
with no expiration date and Altera's license had to be  renewed after 90
days, so it was not certain they will not change the terms of the license
later making our developed code useless.

We provide code under free software license (GNU GPLv3) and make it possible
for our users to modify that code to their needs, this is why we can not use
expensive FPGA development tools. While the price of such tools is small
compared to our other development  expenses, it may be not so for our users.

Shawyoo, what kind of project are you working on? Is the license compatible
with the GNU GPLv3? You know, we publish our designs, but it is copyrighted
material, so you are free to use them in your designs as long as  you comply
with the license.

What is your project page? Where is your code  posted? Circuit diagrams?

Please provide us with the link,  we can discuss your ideas about advantages
of different memory types.