[Elphel-support] Is PSU board required when using PoE

Elphel Support support-list at support.elphel.com
Mon Nov 5 11:47:41 PST 2018

Richard, Aluminum heatsink is required, and it is not interchangeable - each has a heatsink matches particular board. Aluminumb body is not required as long as heatsink is thermally connected to other parts. It is also possible to cut custom extrusion we use for the camera body in 2 halves and use each to mount 10393 with heatsink. The 10393 with the heatsink as on your photo is not sufficient - temporarily you can use external fan, we can send you that half-body. If you do not use 10389 (it is mounted on the other side of the heat plate) you may just put/attach a larger aluminum something to the other side of the heat plate - then you will not need a fan. Camera system board uses 3.3V power and does not have PoE circuitry, only RJ45 with magnetics. The power signals for PoE are just routed to the connector. So without additional power board it is only possible to power from 3.3V as I understand you were doing with 10393 and earlier 10353. Just be careful as there is no protection from over-voltage or reverse polarity on the 3.3V lines. https://wiki.elphel.com/wiki/10393_power#3.3V - shows how to connect 3.3V Andrey ---- On Mon, 05 Nov 2018 10:12:11 -0800 Richard Rigby <rrigby at redzone.com> wrote ---- Hi Oleg, I have been sent some 393 camera parts from my colleagues in Pittsburgh, however there seems to be some parts missing. I have the System Board (10393) as shown in the attached photo, however the Power Board (10385) is missing as well as the Aluminium enclosure.  Is it possible to run the camera at all without the Power Board or is this required even when using PoE? Also, is the Aluminium enclosure required as a heatsink or is the main Aluminium chassis enough of a heatsink? Kind regards, Richard Rigby Software Developer www.redzone.com  Ph: +64 9 479 9901 Fax: +64 9 479 9904 13 Tarndale Grove • Albany • Auckland 0632 • New Zealand _______________________________________________ Support-list mailing list Support-list at support.elphel.com http://support.elphel.com/mailman/listinfo/support-list_support.elphel.com