[Elphel-support] video camera for drone project

Oleg support-list at support.elphel.com
Wed Jun 14 18:44:22 PDT 2017

Hello,

> This is an student project with the idea of developing a real time game
> and for this reason we need a low latency and good quality video.

Currently, for 1080p the latency is roughly 40ms - the camera needs to
compress a single frame before sending it out over network.
There's also network latency and time it takes for PC to display an image.

There is room for improvement - reduce it down to ~0.7ms if one don't wait
for the compressor to finish. This just needs the fpga modification.

Answering your initial letter...

> Communications: Wireless operating at 5 GHZ, with transmitter built-in or
> external HDMI transmitter

to be processed /displayed in  local computer.

Range : >50 feet

Available options would be:

usb dongles (USB2.0):
* https://www.amazon.com/Mailiya-AC600Mbps-Wireless-Adapter-
Mini/dp/B01MYQW7IR/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1497389691&sr=
8-18&keywords=nano+router
* https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRG9QDV?psc=1

There are more that are 2.4GHz of course.
In terms of speed for 1080p at 30fps 300Mbps should be enough

Resolution Video: 1080p at 30 frames/sc

Yes

> View angle: > 120

Yes
Image sensor's format is 1/2.5".
Possible options (small lenses, M12x0.5 thread):
* hfov=~135 : http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL315.PDF,
* hfov=~180 : http://www.optics-online.com/OOL/DSL/DSL227.PDF

Note: for 1080p (full res = 2592x1936) the FoV is smaller.

Power: Battery operated with duration of an hour before recharged

Weight: < the minimum as possible < 1pound

Do you have a video camera that we can use?

NC393-DEV (12V) with a single SFE will be the lightest - 150-200g.

The power consumption is 6-8W.
The input voltage range is 9-36V. We recommend getting a 14.8V battery,
0.5-1Ah should be enough for 1 hour of operation. (Of course, if possible
try to use a single battery for the whole system).

Example (240g): https://www.dollarhobbyz.com/collections/batteries-
4s-14-8v-lipo/products/venom-lipo-battery-4s-1p-2100-mah-
20c-starter-box-15004

The total weight comes up to 1lb.

Best regards,
Oleg Dzhimiev