[Elphel-support] Understanding camera-sensor interface

Клещенков Анатолий aktech at inbox.ru
Mon May 11 10:06:35 PDT 2015

Hello colleagues!

Simultaneously to approach of 3D measuring which is used stereo-matching
we are also working on another method of 3D measuring based on optical
triangulation. For this application we try to apply 353 camera too. The
main idea of this method is in determination of the object shape due to
transformation of the structured light in a case when light search and
observation point are in different points:

There are several constraints which that must be taken into consideration:
1. speed of scanning must be about 50 shapes per second;
2. scanning system must work at the outdoor conditions with strong
lighting of the object by direct sun light.
3. power of the structured lightning search (probably NIR laser type)
must be limited to satisfy safety requirements for human eyes.

So the main challenge here is to increase signal/noise ratio that means
increasing amount of structured light energy scattered from measured
object and decreasing light energy of the sun and others unwanted
sources. To do this it is possible to make narrow-band spectral
filtering of the lighting search as well as minimize the time of
exposure and to use synchronous high power pulse lightning. To do
spectral filtering I have got narrow band interference filters at 850
and 900 nm. Experimental investigation of these filters shown the
bandwidth of half power is about 50 nm. I intend to replace in the
camera your stock short pass IR blocking filter by this NIR narrow-band
filter. Bitwise, I have measured your stock short-pass filter which is
installed in the camera as well, if you interested in this data I will
send you.

Now is about time-domain processing. Actually, this is my first
experience with hardware of digital camera. At the begin of my
investigation I thought that all pixels in sensor start/stop exposure at
same moment. This suggestion makes possible to do one short pulse of
lightning search, which exposures all pixels at the sensor at same
moment. If we apply as such lightning the high power ultrashort pulse
search (I am going to use Osram laser diodes SPLLL85 or SPLLL90 with
20..50 watt of optical power and pulse width about 50 ns) and setup as
short as possible pixel's exposure time then we can increase
signal/noise ration very strong. Unfortunately, in real MT9P001 sensor
this idea does not work because of shifting of the exposure time of rows
in sensor, so it is needed to do independent flashes of light for
neighboring rows. As I see a solving of the problem may be in use of
global reset release mode of the sensor, but as I know in this mode
every pixel continues exposure till the moment readout of it.

If we consider WOI with size of 100 x 2000 px then total read out time
is more than 10 ns x 200.000 = 2 ms. That is mean that exposure time of
lasts rows will be as high as 2ms. This is not good because these lasts
rows will accept a lot of unwanted light. Anyway I can not to find how
to set up this mode (GRR) in the camera. Is it possible to setup GRR
mode using this script
http://192.168.1.9/index.php?site=autocampars.php? If not - how can I do
it?

There is a way to reduce total readout time by skipping of readout some
rows, for my application it is possible. For examples, we can readout 2
lines and skip 14 lines, this leads to decreasing maximum total exposure
time in GRR mode. I found that MT9P001 has such possibility:

As I see to setup row skip mode it is needed to modify  Row_Skip bits in
R34 register.

Is possible to alter sensor registers directly via PHP API of the
camera? I tried to found some PHP routines to do this but have not found
any. Please explain how I can do so.

At this moment I am experimenting on synchronization between lightning
and row's exposure in ESR sensor mode with FPGA timing (TRIG=4). I guess
that for my application WOI with height about 2000 px and row length
about 100-150 px is enough. I tried setup various sizes of WOI but some
things are not clear for me. At datasheet it is pointed out that:

- I consider it that region of interested of the sensor may be directly
specified, and there is no any extra data will be readout. For example,
if we consider WOI with WOI_WIDTH = 128 and WOI_HEIGHT = 32  then
readout time of 1 row is:

that leads to Trow = 10,79 us.

I setup 1 us exposure time:

Actual signal timings correspond to calculations above:

where: Yellow signal is TRIG_OUT (J15 connector) and Green signal is LV
signal from sensor. Totally there are 32 periods of LV that corresponds
to WOI_HEIGHT = 32. More detailed observation of the Line_valid signal:

Here it is clear visible that period of LV is about 10 us. My question
is - how determine actual time of start exposure of every row? Values of
EXPOS is 1 us. What is the real exposure time and how to determine and
measure it? I read that actual exposure time is divisible by Trow, is it
correct? And if we setup 1us exposure time then real exposure time is
about 10 us for this case, correct?

Another questions: as I know so big interval between leading edges of
Line_Valid signal (about 10 us) is due to horizontal blanking. Is it
possible to minimize this interval?

What do you think about such application of the 353 camera at all? Is
there some compatible with MT9P001 sensors with true simultaneous
exposure of all pixels?

Thank you in advance!
Best regards, Anatoly.

--