[Elphel-support] Is there a way to assign a higher priority to an application on the Elphel board?

support-list support-list at support.elphel.com
Thu Mar 12 14:32:34 PDT 2015

Hello Harry,

Which process do you want to have low priority? What kind of problems do you have with insufficent CPU power? As we already found the CF card timeouts are internal to the card (I noticed similar ~3 sec timeouts with the modern SD card we use in the new 10393 camera). The internal buffer is set 19MB, so if you know the average compressed frame size (in bytes) and the frame rate you may calculate how long the buffer can accumulate data without loosing data - normally 19MB should be enough.

There are not many processes that can use much of the CPU (much of the activity is inside the kernel), and it depends on the applications you really need.

How do you use the images/video from the camera? Do you stream it out over the network or record in the camera?
These two processes are handled by the two different applications, and for recording I would suggest to use camogm, not the streamer. If you only record, and not stream out simultaneously you may disable streamer completely. That will still allow you to acquire images over the network with minimal overhead.

There is also an autoexposure daemon running - you may disable it if you control the exposure/white balance manually

PHP, web server do not eat up CPU when not specifically requested by the host, and there is nothing like Firefox or Flash running in the camera :-)

And yes, default busybox (used in the camera as in most other embedded systems) configuration does not have nice command - you may read some discussion here: https://communities.intel.com/message/265279

All the above  considerations are for the currently used firmware, really old legacy code (more than 6-7 years old) had different applications, FPGA clock rate and running software.