[Elphel-support] Elphel NC323-2

support-list support-list at support.elphel.com
Tue Jul 14 13:27:58 PDT 2015

[We had a hosting server outage, so I'm resending this reply - it did not appear on the ML]
Mitch,

The FPGA bitstream is loaded using the driver that communicates with the appropriate JTAG bits, script (http://elphel.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/elphel/camera323/packages/initscripts/323/fpga?view=markup) executes a simple command:
echo "programming fpga with /etc/x323.bit"
cat /etc/x323.bit >/dev/fpgaconfjtag

But I do not think it will be easy to modify the FPGA image - it may require ancient version of the Xilinx Webpack/ISE - we always had problems with upgrading Xilinx tools - each new version was breaking the older code.

On the other hand I do not think you really need to make any FPGA changes at all - in the last message I provided you the link to the Verilog source so you could see - what code actually executes that sequencer program:
http://elphel.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/elphel/camera323/apps/ccd/ccd_pgseq?view=markup
I believe you just need to modify that file and change line 221 from
126:   *40 #       send ('h126,LOOP+40        );  //exposure, outer loop ***************
126: *800 #       send ('h126,LOOP+800       );  //exposure, outer loop: 1 step is now 20 ms, to the maximum of 81.9 sec

So you just need to locate this file in the camera file system and change that line, being careful not to break something - web interface expects
loop counters to be in particular absolute addresses of the code.
When you build the software, the camera file system will be under target/ subdirectory. But you may just find the file and edit it. If I remember correctly, in these old camera there is a simple file browser/editor at the address:
http://<camera_ip>/admin-bin/editcgi.cgi

Some directories reside in the read-only partitions, but I hope that http://elphel.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/elphel/camera323/apps/ccd/ccd_pgseq?view=markup file is in R/W. Otherwise you'll need to create your file, place it in R/W location (i.e. under /etc for permanent or under /var for RAM-disk temporary location) and figure out how to use http://elphel.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/elphel/camera323/apps/ccd/ccd.c?revision=1.10&view=markup program to execute your modified version of ccd_pgseq.

You may use FTP to copy files to the camera, it is a good idea to run "sync" from the telnet session if you changed something in the flash (same as "safely remove" for the thumb drives on a computer).

Andrey

-