[Elphel-support] Stereo Camera Systems: Distance to Image Sensor and Sub-sampling Ethernet Output

Oleg support-list at support.elphel.com
Mon Mar 31 12:59:26 PDT 2014

Hello Justin,

2) For best performance in the JP4 format, what kind of write speed would
> be required of the local storage device with the current model 353?

The camera's compressor takes less time when processing JP4 than JPEG -
14fps (jp4) vs 10.6 fps (jpeg).

The max write speed is:
~20MB/s for Compact Flash cards and SATA - the speed is CPU restricted.
100M*b*/s - over network
~1-2MB/s for USB storage (don't remember exactly but it's slower than over
network)

What is the anticipated maximum write speed for the upcoming 393 model?

Specifically I am wondering about the limitations of compact flash vs. SSD
> for local storage.

1Gb/s over network
Theoretically it should be up to 6Gb/s (SATA III) for mSATA SSD - we'll see.

Best regards,
Oleg Dzhimiev
Electronics Engineer
phone: +1 801 783 5555 x124