[Elphel-support] Issue with nc353l-369

Riccardo Di Roberto rickdiro at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 06:23:39 PDT 2014

Dear Oleg,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I delayed my response in order to have much more elements to ease your assistance.
I checked what was coming out from the serial port, when the ethernet lights were not switching on, and you can find the result in the txt file attached named "bad_blocks_NAND.txt"
There were some bad blocks on the NAND flash, which prevented the camera from booting up.

What I subsequently did was booting my pc using the Elphel LiveUSB that came with the camera.
Then I downloaded the latest 353 firmware image from Sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/elphel/files/elphel353-8/8.2.16/), extracted its contents and placed the "8.2.16" folder inside the "nfs" folder in the LiveUSB OS.
I then tried using the netboot application, but since the boot percentage window was painfully slow (1% progress every 15-20 minutes), I realized there was a misconfiguration on the network panel: automatic DHCP was set up, so I put the manual mode and entered these values:

IP: 192.168.0.3
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

then I rebooted the pc.

After this, the netboot app seemed to work nominally, since the boot percentage window was fast, meanwhile I was connected with another PC to the camera serial port, so I could record everything that was happening in the camera during the process.
In this log (which I have attached, named "netboot_result_serial.txt") there are many "not found" errors, but the NAND flash has been correctly erased. The NAND check found 4 bad blocks.

Now every time I try to switch on the camera, the ethernet LEDs are on, but there is no response to the ip 192.168.0.9, and nothing is shown through serial connection during camera startup (just one of those special characters every reboot).
I tried dragging and dropping the image archive over the netboot application, to no avail. The result is the same.
I think there's an issue when the pc transmits the updated firmware to the camera, so the NAND was erased but nothing was installed.

Is there something I need to edit on the Kubuntu OS in order for the reflash to work?

Thank you very much in advance.

Riccardo

Riccardo Di Roberto - IZ0VXZ
Dept. of Astronautics