[Elphel-support] Eyesis 4pi

Jan Kohout honzakohout at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 23:01:18 PDT 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,
I have found your Eyesis4pi spherical camera system on the internet and it
looks very interesting.
However some things are rather unclear to me, so I would like to ask some
questions. Because the questions are rather technical, I'm writing to tech
support email address as well.
1. How much does the quality of the image change with the speed of capture
- meaning how different is image captured at 2.5 fps from one captured at 5
fps?
2. Since we already own a mobile mapping system and are not happy with the
camera, are you able to deliver just the imaging part of your system? Only
the set of cameras capturing the sphere.
3. On your web you say it takes 30 minutes to create a panorama. Is this
value correct, and does it apply for every panorama, or just for the first
and the subsequent panos take much shorter? When capturing tens of
thousands images per day, the 30 minutes seem just impossible.
4. The SSDs you use - is there a chance to install bigger disks and
increase operational time?
5. Have you tested the posiotional accuracy of your system in the
challenging conditions of urban canyons/tunnels? If so, what were the
results? We plan to get as many daily kms as possible (up to 400) and then
use the data for survey purposes - this requires very good stitching of
panoramas as well as precise position and attitude. From the MEMS IMU you
use, I don't have much confidence in the final accuracy, but I might be
wrong.

Looking forward to your reply.
Best regards,

Jan Kohout