[Elphel-support] camera image undistortion rectification

Gergely Debreczeni gergely.debreczeni at kishonti.net
Wed Jul 10 09:49:39 PDT 2013

Dear Andrey and all,

 Sorry for returning back to your question so slowly, I was distracted with other issues.
 Unfortunately we still have the problem of the correctly calibrating the stereo camera.

We have a MNC354-2 Stereo Camera with 353-70-50 f=5 mm C mount lenses.

What is the best toolkit / distortion model to calibrate these lenses ?
We have tried OpenCV stereo calibration utility, and now trying "Camera Calibration Toolbox for Matlab"
but none of them gives very good results. (By eye it looks ok, but disparity fails...)

For the calibration we used 25 stereo image of a big chessboard from different viewpoints.

Questions:
- Do you have specific suggestions how to track down the problem ?
- Is there somebody having similar lenses and managed to calibrate them successfully ?
- What typical errors one gets (order of magnitude of calibration parameter errors) ?

thanks a lot in advance for any help,
Gergely