[Elphel-support] Motorized zoom lens

support-list support-list at support.elphel.com
Wed Jul 3 11:46:47 PDT 2013

Mike,

We do not have 3 MPix sensors, and Aptina 5MPix is definetly an improvement over the older 3MPix chip. And most of the new sensors will all likely have small pixels. And most of the comments apply to the old 3MPix sensor too, you are right.

Switching between sensors with 10359.
That depends on the operation mode. In the default (free-running mode) all sensor use the same clock, but each may have frame start at different time. It is probably possible to develop software that would synchronize them, maybe it is just as easy as swicth from triggered mode to free running and they will keep sync ever since (provided they have the same frame size programmed).
For our applications we use triggered mode, when each frame is started from an external (for the sensor) signal. It may be physical trigger (i.e. from a another camera) or internal (for the camera) pulse generated by the FPGA timer. In this mode all the sensors are guaranteed to work synchronously, so switching from one to another will not cause any interruption.