[Elphel-support] change the IP to a subnet like 192.168.0.xx (like in the original configuration)

Biel Bestué de Luna 7318.tk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 16:24:11 PDT 2013

first allow me set the record straight:

I'm currently using the camera along a WAN router of mine, as it is right
now it's working fine. Now I want to make a change to it's network
settings...

 now allow me to explain, I had my share of problems at the beginning when
trying to connect my camera to my laptop, but that router WAN solved all
those problems for me, although I've had to pay a small price by adding an
additional electrical cable to the pack, therefore forever pining my camera
and the WAN router next to the closest electric plug in the wall.

In the end, it allowed me to work with the camera wirelessly which is
something I was looking for.

 Back at the time I turned my camera IP to the one I've been using since
then: 192.168.1.9 (which uses a different subnet from the value in the
factory settings) and it has been working great

 so in the “network settings” at
192.168.1.9/index.php?site=camerasetup/setup.php I have:

 the current IP in cam is:192.168.1.9

the current Netmask in cam is: 255.255.255.0

the current Gateway in cam is: 192.168.1.15

the current Broadcast in cam is: 192.168.1.255

 my idea now is that I want to change the IP back to 192.168.0.9 and I'm
afraid to change it, because I've read that If I do something wrong I could
“break” it, leaving me without access to the camera!

Besides all of this, I no longer remember what changes did when I changed
the IP from the factory settings to the settings that the camera currently
has. my questions are the following:

 In case of me making some mistake and screwing it up, how could I recover
it? Would I have to send my camera off?

 in order to have an IP from the device in the xx.xx.0.xx subnet (factory
settings) do I change only the IP value to the new subnet (from 192.168.1.9
to 192.168.0.9)? Or do I have to change Netmask, Gateway, and the Broadcast
to some other value also?

 Additionally, out of my curiosity:

 what role do “Netmask”, “Gateway”, and “Broadcast” play?