[Elphel-support] INFORMATION CONCERNING NC353L-369-IMU-GPS

Oleg support-list at support.elphel.com
Mon Nov 5 14:24:07 PST 2012

Hi, Daniell,

> What recording format to choose so as to be able to write files without
> loosing  quality and maintaining reasonable file size?

I would go JP4 <http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=JP4> format. It is
designed to preserve as much data as possible during compression.

>  Do you propose or know of  some software that will enable us to go from
> recording to viewing/editing? we want to keep this as simple as possible as
> we will be recording many hours up to 6 hours per day.

When recorded the files are packed into MOVs. After that MOVs can be split
and converted to JPEGs or played with patched mplayer.
1. In this post<http://blog.elphel.com/2009/11/interfacing-elphel-cameras-with-gstreamer-opencv-opengl-and-python-get-profit-of-dsp-or-gpu-based-optimisation-control-camera-settings-from-python-application-or-human-interface-device-hid/>
there's
information about playing a JP4 stream - with MOV files it should work the
same.
2. Another program <http://blog.elphel.com/2010/07/jp4-workflow/> is called
movie2dng - it splits MOVs and converts JP4s into DNGs.

Setting up your workflow might require some scripting.

What would be the best method for storage?

The image size will not go above 2MB. So, 6 hours and 7 fps result in
~300GB of data.
The best option is to connect an external SATA HDD (or SSD).
Another option would be a couple of Compact Flash cards.

> Can we control frame rate?

Yes

> We fly at approximetly  75 Km/h and the distance from the wires varies
> from 10 to 30 meters.

What lens do you recommend for this?

Depends on the FoV you need. Could you show any sample pictures?
In the Eyesis4Pi system we use VD lenses (listed
here<http://www3.elphel.com/accessories>)
- F=4.5mm, F/1.8, M12-mount. We can also make the front end thermally
compensated and calibrate it to compensate for the lens distortions - like
in NC353-PHG <http://www3.elphel.com/nc353-phg> model.

Best regards,
Oleg Dzhimiev
Electronics Engineer