[Elphel-support] the discussion on the Heptaclops camera

Biel Bestué de Luna 7318.tk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 01:43:06 PDT 2012

let me see if I've got shot noise correctly, the only way to have less shot
noise would be to have more photons hit the photo-sites in order to excite
more electrons, so bigger photo-sites would reduce shot noise isn't it?
(that would also mean, bigger sensors in order to have the same final
resolution)

would it be significantly more costly to use a ADC of 13 bits (if they
exist which of course, i don't have any clue if they do) my older camera
the panasonic HVX-200 advertised that it had "a 14 bit chip" to handle the
colour, it is a 3CCD camera so I guess they are measuring their counts
significantly different, but this means that at least there is a ADC of 14
bits with significantly more counts that clearly the Elphel would need, why
not use then a 13 bits? if you where to use a 13 bits ADC chip wouldn't you
be able to skip half the count values and still do the camera's current
scheme of the 150 values? but you could also gather more values if you want
more info for your post production needs. is it possible?

you said: "It is good to have more quantization level than the number of
S+N levels you can discriminate." what do you mean by "S+N levels"? shot
noise or Signal to noise ratio?

about the article of linux devices:

"Such conversion significantly reduces the number of output values, and
therefore the number of bits required to encode them, without sacrificing
much of the pixel values." (sic)

So you're recoding the 150colours of the camera to the 8bit 256colours with
a non-linear gamma
isn't it? apart of the higher data amount, what would be the other problem
using more counts of the ADC? what relation there is between the amount of
ADC counts used currently and shot noise? and if more ADC counts were used
to encode the colour how would shot noise would be affected? (all of this
using the current hardware of course)

Andrey you're giving me a huge amount of very important and relevant info
those days! thank you very much :D