[Elphel-support] hi from kinoraw

Andrey Filippov andrey at elphel.com
Tue Jun 5 13:05:51 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Carlos Padial <palidoestudio2 at gmail.com>wrote:

> ok, tomorrow we will do a new round of tests and wrote down a table.
>
> I have a few questions:
> about "ifconfig" and "mii-diag" output?
>
> i have to use this commands in the ttylog? when i put commands there,
> nothing seems to happend...

Carlos,
Do you have the serial cable connected? It is a 6-pin connector on the side
of the camera under the small cover. You should have a gray cable and
adapter for it,  On the computer side you may use minicom or any other
terminal emulator.This console works even if the network is unavailable, it
also show all output that used printk() in the kernel drivers.

> > Could you also check the network statistics - packets/lost packets?
> > Do you have lost packets before streaming? After?
>
> can you provide us more instructions about how to check this?

Just try these commands over the serial console (not the network).

> >if the camera is not streaming, just connected - will it continue to be
> accessible after a long time?
>
> need to check this...
>

> >What about recording to the external SATA HDD - does it work? Or also
> fails?
>
> it works fine if i record without stream (at any resolution), if i run one
> of them while the other is running then it breaks...

You mean you are having problems are recording and streaming are running
simultaneously? Yes that can be an issue as the CPU resources of the camera
are limited. There is a cure but that would need writing some additional
code that I never did myself, I only provided the driver-level support and
made provisions in camogm. The streamer has to be modified to use it.

The idea is that camogm can make it's circular buffer read pointer visible
to other applications and so the streamer should be "nice" - each time when
it is awaken after the next frame is available, it should compare the
camogm's ("global") read pointer against the buffer write pointer and if
the recorder is dangerously close to buffer overrun condition, skip the
frame (do not stream it). Additionally it can stream only each N-th frame
while recording all of them.

Andrey