[Elphel-support] starting an article...

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Mon Jun 4 09:29:08 PDT 2012

Hi Flavio,

Nice work! I would recommend you to play with coring settings in addition
to JPEG quality - it may provide some better efficiency in image size-
quality trade-offs. This is one of the articles about coring that has some
illustrations: http://downloads.hindawi.com/journals/ivp/2010/323180.pdfThis
feature is implemented in the camera FPGA code and it is possible to
control the amount separately fro the luma and chroma components. The
current implementation uses the value relative to the JPEG coefficients, so
the higher the JPEG quality the higher the coring values are needed to
achieve the same effect.

Additional note - you have an image of the transparent camera (that seems
to be made of the original Elphel camera body) in the article. With all my
love to open designs, I would never make a transparent camera as it
contradicts the nature of optics - the transparent eye will be blind. Of
course, you can make a smaller part (sensor+lens body) non-transparent
inside a large transparent body, but that would be like cheating - we make
something that looks transparent, but the most important parts inside - are
not.

Andrey