[Elphel-support] Eyesis workflow

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Tue Jan 24 22:50:11 PST 2012

Jim,

I never tried processing with less than 8GB (of 16 in the computer), and I
do not think it is possible with less than 4 or 6. The processing speed
depends on the computer and number of CPU cores - the program can use any
reasonable number of threads (you can use htop to see the load). One set
usually takes some 12-15 minutes. All the images are processed as 20Mpixel
ones, they are decimated only at the last stage and I plan to do that later
during the stitching, to avoid accumulate re-sampling errors.
We are now testing/writing code for the camera rotation machine that will
be used for precise distortion correction and pixel mapping (hope to get ~1
angular minute of the total error - you may find some description on our
blog). Recently I had to redesign the sensor front ends, because normal
thermal expansion of the aluminum parts (we measured focus distance thermal
variation of 0.2 microns/C). That seems to be OK to keep lens in focus for
in the reasonable temperature range, but for the aberration correction we
need higher precision than that, otherwise we'll have to use different
kernels for different temperatures. We have a version of the sensor boards
(10338E) that has temperature sensor, so some correction will still be
possible.

Andrey