[Elphel-support] the problems from the hdd (in short)

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Sat Feb 4 11:11:51 PST 2012

Carlos,

>From you photos it does not look that any pins are broken, no pads from the
PCB are peeled off, so any computer/electronics repair shop (or hobbyist
with the fine parts soldering skills) can easily put the connector back.

SATA external disk - we did not have problems with any, except the old SSD
made of the CF cards inside. The Axis ETRAX processor (used in the camera)
has a flaw in the UDMA implementation, and many (actually most) CF cards do
not have just DMA - they have a bug in the controller chip. But then, the
controller chip manufacturer made it to falsely respond that it does
support DMA (needed for the camera) and that lie usually stays undetected,
because nobody needs DMA when they have UDMA. Nobody but those who have the
UDMA bug in the processor :-(

Anyway - that was the only problem we had with the SATA deveces so far.
Format - use EXT2 and don't make too large partitions (use 100-200GB) -
larger partitions need more RAM that is a valuable resource for 64MB camera
system memory. Additionally - keep the number of files in the same
directory not too large - even for the normal computers it takes a while to
open folders with many files.

Andrey