[Elphel-support] the problems from the hdd (in short)

Oleg support-list at support.elphel.com
Sat Feb 4 09:25:37 PST 2012

Carlos,

> So you are saying its posible to reuse the black conector soldering
> back to the 10369? wouldn't it be better to find a new black piece
> (from the diagram i supose its the one called J6 CF/HDD adapter) i
> mean because of the broken pins.

The pins looked fine on your P1110893-50q.jpg (I don't see any missing at
least). If you see that some pins are broken could you please make a
picture of them?

So, yes, the connector can be reused if there are no broken pins.

On 10369 wiki page right under the functional diagram there's a link
to the 10369
Circuit Diagram, Parts List, PCB
layout<http://wiki.elphel.com/images/9/9a/10369a.pdf>
 . In the PDF there's a list of components.
J6 is "Horisontal Socket, 50 pins, 2 rows 1.27mm pitch, Samtec
SFMH-125-02-L-D-L" (I think there's a typo in "horizontal")

now i have removed the hdd enclosure and the wire. The camera works fine.
> we want to try the sata external conexion, some recomendations?
> what format must have the disk? it should be automatically detected?

1. Any HDD should work ok.
2. Don't forget to provide the power to the external HDD.
3. Power on the HDD before turning on the camera.
4. The HDD will be detected as "hda" - additionally you can verify this
with "dmesg", "hdparm -l /dev/hda" or any other commands... "cat
/proc/partitions".
5. Then you can follow the "HDD
Format<http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=HDD_Format>"
guide.

After that it should be working as the internal HDD used to.

Best regards,
Oleg Dzhimiev