[Elphel-support] change camera parameters through Telnet

support-list support-list at support.elphel.com
Thu Dec 13 15:41:23 PST 2012

> the idea was to unload that work from the camera, and leave all the important processing to the external computer,
Yes, we do the same with Eyesis, there is a lot of processing, but PHP is still used in to control the camera

> like Flavio Soares does, he deactivates the php functions of the camera so it can record at a higher quality jpeg compression.
What does "deactivates the php functions of the camera" mean?

He does not use the camera GUI? Yes, that GUI is rather slow, but not slower that it was before the PHP was implemented in the camera (camvc is rather old - at least 6-7 years).

Using PHP in the camera is the fastest way to control it. Of course, if you will run Drupal there - it will be terribly slow, but just changing few parameters you really need - it will be faster than telnet.

Camera control functionality is implemented in PHP extension - http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=PHP_in_Elphel_cameras . Any simple "API" like in many cameras would definitely limit the functionality, so we decided that user can make her own API, coding it in PHP. It can be universal, but big and likely slow. Or it can be tailored to particular application - and be really fast.