[Elphel-support] Elphel NC353L long exposures

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Thu Aug 16 23:40:14 PDT 2012

Hello Niko,

For very long exposures it is better to turn autoexposure off and set
exposure time manually using "Parameter Editor" (
http://192.168.1.48/index.php?site=autocampars.php if the camera has
default IP). Select "autoexposure" group, uncheck "Include image" (for
faster updates) and open link "View/edit current" - there you can disable
autoexposure and set exposure time (in microseconds). Camera will seem to
be "frozen" because all parameters are updated at frame sync interrupts.
You may update image with the link http://192.168.1.48:8081/bimg - it is
independent of the main web server and will not freeze if the camera will
be waiting for the next image. Exposure time update will take several
frames.
You may also telnet to the camera (using login:root password:pass) and view
raw sensor registers (described in the Aptina datasheet), exposure time is
in registers 8 and 9, total exposure time will be (reg8*2^16+reg9)*line
scan time. You may view the current settings with the command:
 fpcf -i2cr16 4808 2
All 256 registers:
 fpcf -i2cr16 4800 100
Andrey
For very long exposures the fixed pattern noise will be significant, you'll
have to subtract it.

Andrey