[Elphel-support] Recording fullHD JP4 being limited to 7 seconds

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Thu Apr 26 00:12:51 PDT 2012

> Hello, Andrey, thanks for the quick response!

You are welcome , Flavio

> I'm also online (here it is 3:40am) =)

Not that late he - less than 1AM :-)

> My Kingston cards are not listed in the blacklist. Let's get them to
> work and see how far they go. Here are the results of the tests, I'm
> ssh-ed into the cam:
>
> [root at Elphel353 /mnt/0]944# time dd if=/dev/circbuf of=/dev/null
> 38656+0 records in
> 38656+0 records out
> real    0m 0.42s
> user    0m 0.03s
> sys     0m 0.39s
> [root at Elphel353 /mnt/0]944# time dd if=/dev/circbuf of=/dev/hdb1
> 38656+0 records in
> 38656+0 records out
> real    0m 6.75s
> user    0m 0.19s
> sys     0m 2.46s
> [root at Elphel353 /mnt/0]944#
>
> If I understood correctly, my card takes 6.75 seconds to write the
> 19MB and 19 MB / 6.75 = 2.8MB/s should be the maximum data rate my
> cards can handle, is that it?

Yes, the cards are in PIO mode so seem to be disabled. And as I wrote - it
is not only that they are ~16/2.8 ~= 5.5 times slower than those in DMA
mode, they use CPU much more during recording, so no resources fro other
CPU tasks.

 Can you try them with hdparm -I and send the reply? The CPU-limited
recording rate in DMA mode should be ~16MB/s

> Meanwhile, I've tested normal HD JP4, at 720p and observed that
> compression 100% is a killer, but at about 90%, the recording
> proceeded without cutting the video, even tough the gui refresh rate
> suffered.

Yes that is so - 90% is really good quality. It may also make sense to
fine-tune coring value () in addition to JPEG quality to find the best
overall quality/image size ratio.
 With Eyesis we use 97-98%, but that is only because we use aberration
correction by de-convolution that amplifies the noise and artifacts. BTW -
here are our last panoramas made with the new camera (viewing requires good
videocard and WebGL-capable browser)
http://community.elphel.com/files/eyesis/pano-db-3/webgl_panorama_editor.html?kml=mainstreet_ro.kml&proto=mainstreet_ro.kml&ntxt=2&as_camera=95&start=result_1334548264_780764_1.jpeg&range=95&labels=false&keepzoom=false&closest2d=false&seethrough=0.4&transition=5&mask=&azimuth=23.2&elevation=-70.5&zoom=0.386&follow=false&mv3d=false

> ps.: I considered buying the Sundisk Extreme III, but I saw they were
> not being sold at B&H at the moment. =/  If there is any other you
> would recommend...

I'll ask here tomorrow, but I think recently we only used that card
(different capacities)

Andrey