[Elphel-support] Recording fullHD JP4 being limited to 7 seconds

flavio soares qazav3.0 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 23:48:42 PDT 2012

Hello, Andrey, thanks for the quick response!

I'm also online (here it is 3:40am) =)

My Kingston cards are not listed in the blacklist. Let's get them to
work and see how far they go. Here are the results of the tests, I'm
ssh-ed into the cam:

[root at Elphel353 /mnt/0]944# time dd if=/dev/circbuf of=/dev/null
38656+0 records in
38656+0 records out
real	0m 0.42s
user	0m 0.03s
sys	0m 0.39s
[root at Elphel353 /mnt/0]944# time dd if=/dev/circbuf of=/dev/hdb1
38656+0 records in
38656+0 records out
real	0m 6.75s
user	0m 0.19s
sys	0m 2.46s
[root at Elphel353 /mnt/0]944#

If I understood correctly, my card takes 6.75 seconds to write the
19MB and 19 MB / 6.75 = 2.8MB/s should be the maximum data rate my
cards can handle, is that it?

Meanwhile, I've tested normal HD JP4, at 720p and observed that
compression 100% is a killer, but at about 90%, the recording
proceeded without cutting the video, even tough the gui refresh rate
suffered.

ps.: I considered buying the Sundisk Extreme III, but I saw they were
not being sold at B&H at the moment. =/  If there is any other you
would recommend...

Thanks!

flavio