[Elphel-support] Regarding Elphel Panoramic camera with 360 degree view

Andrey Filippov support-list at support.elphel.com
Mon May 16 13:04:26 PDT 2011

Hello Madan,

You may find SDK installation instructions on Elphel Wiki -
http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=Elphel_Software_Kit_for_Ubuntu .

As for the HTTP API - we believe that the traditional camera API limits
functionality (
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/Linux-For-Devices-Articles/Elphel-camera-under-the-hood-from-Verilog-to-PHP/),
particularly when you need to switch camera operation modes without
frame
loss (or minimizing the number of lost frames when sensor is not capable of
cleanely switching between them). Additionally there is always some
contradiction between the API functionality and performance, adding more
features makes the processing slower.

To resolve these problems we ported PHP to the camera and added custom
extension functions that interface with the camera-specific features
efficiently. So you may use some of our sample HTTP API programs, like
snapfull.php -
http://elphel.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/elphel/elphel353-8.0/packages/web/353/php_top/snapfull.php?view=markup)
- program designed to temporarily switch from high FPS lower
resolution
video to full resolution snapshot, minimizing lost frames, write you custom
"backend" program or emulate API of some other camera you use.

http://wiki.elphel.com/index.php?title=PHP_in_Elphel_cameras - describes the
Elphel PHP functions, though there are some newer additions not yet
described on the WIki. The most up-to-dfate information on the Elphel PHP
extension is in the source code of that extension, of course. It is here -
http://elphel.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/elphel/elphel353-8.0/apps/php-5.2.9/ext/elphel/elphel_php.c?view=markup

Andrey

PS. Sorry for the late reply - email program I use put the message into spam
folder - something is wrong with the filters.